![]() |
| Website image - not great |
I am trying to fill in gaps in my World War II gaming -the challenge being the number of theaters that makes this an impossible task to go along with my interest in just about everything. Regardless of my lack of focus, recently I have been looking at late war action in the Pacific, and to that end purchased the "Genda's Blade" pack from I-94. The pack features either eight or sixteen Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden-Kai (Violet Lightning-Improved) fighters (Raiden Miniatures) along with a decal sheet for the 407th Hikotai (made by the now defunct Dom's Decals) which is not available for separate purchase (and because I have a bit of an addiction, I have also ordered the same planes from Flight Deck Decals, for a future comparison post). The N1K2-J, known to the Allies as "George", was a beast - fairly fast, decently maneuverable, and armed with four 20mm cannons, albeit I believe the same type found on the A6M series (and hence possibly meriting only an LVC rating in Check Your 6!) - the Type 99 Mark 2.
![]() |
| My image, a little better |
Several other pilots became aces while serving with the 343rd Kōkūtai, and noted ace Saburō Sakai was a member of the unit, although not active in combat as far as I can determine (Sakai would rate as an experten (+4) aircrew). Overall, aircrew quality for the kōkūtai should be similar to early war Japanese ratings, with little to no green aircrews, a bulk of skilled, and as you see from the above table, numerous veterans.
![]() |
| Raiden version - needs some cleanup but the casting is crisp |
![]() |
| And then we have the Flight Deck Decals version, with some initial painting. Bee-You-Te-Full! |
When American pilots encountered this unit, they realized they were not facing the remaining dregs of the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Force, but pilots with skill as great if not better than their own, flying an aircraft as good if not better than their own.
There is an exceptional book titled...wait for it...Genda's Blade! This detailed offering provides an insight, through several first person accounts. However, the book is out of print and is expensive on the aftermarket sites. However, if one wants a deep dive into the N1K and/or the 343rd Kōkūtai, it is a must have title. Using Genda's Blade and AI I will be working up some scenarios in the future.





No comments:
Post a Comment
I appreciate your comment and will review and add shortly!