Friday, September 6, 2024

Der Drachen

While Ares, after a promise of a few years, finally did re-release their balloons, I have shied away from purchasing one. But, with planning a Frank Luke scenario, I decided I wanted to obtain a balloon. Instead of going with the Ares offerings, I had come across a 1/144 scale Parseval-Sigsfeld Drachen, manufactured by Pig Models. While more expensive than Ares, it is also far more realistic in appearance than the Wings of Glory models. Finding a decent price online, I received the balloon today and set about with assembly. Now, I have not put together a proper model in years, and while the amount of pieces and parts are relatively small, I did not consider that the various guidelines and ropes are photo-etched parts, something I have no experience with.



 

I have taken care of the first few basic steps, using just five of the plastic parts thus far (and only four left). The pieces fit together nicely, with some raised portions within the balloon itself to ensure proper alignment of the two halves. Next steps include adding the various etched lines, so we'll see how that turns out in a future post.

By the way, the Parseval-Sigsfeld has several nicknames. One is Drachen, or dragon. Another is sausage. Yet another, a bit on the unsavory side, is Nulle, which I will leave to your imagination.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment