Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Adding Some Pop

A bit of a video describing the process: 


Ahhh, the wonderful colored prints that Reduced Aircraft Factory gave us via Shapeways, I do pine for those planes to be available again. When Shapeways unceremoniously shut their internet doors, I still had planes in the shopping cart, saved for a future purchase. And because I didn't buy the planes then, I lost out on adding to my growing collection of Belgian aircraft for Wings of Glory. 

As much as I enjoyed the prints from RAF, colors at times could be less than ideal. Solid primary colors did not print well, but details such as lozenge patterns were wonderful. In preparation for an upcoming game (the last flight of Werner Voss), I decided to give some of the RAF planes purchased for that scenario some "pop." Adding decals and touches of paint, I think the end results were worth it. The texture of the Shapeways prints gave the planes a touch of a haze and a gritty feel, even after a spray of satin and a brush of matte varnishes. When deciding to add decals, I came across some mentions about placing decals on smooth (glossy) surfaces. I had not really had any issues applying decals to matte varnish surfaces in the past, but with the Shapeways prints I thought I would give the areas that would see decals a coat of gloss. Two things occured - first, it was very easy to align decals with the smooth surface and a dab of Vallejo decal fix, and second, the colors "popped" a bit more. The grit and the haze were much reduced. So I have given these pair of Pfalz D.IIIs a bit of a rejuvenation - decals and gloss.

Upon arrival from Shapeways...


Varnish applied to the decal locations and decals started...


Decals complete (after applying Vallejo decal softener) and a coat of gloss varnish in place...



And the finished product after some matte varnish. They are a tad less shiny in person. The grainy feel is nearly gone, and the texture is nearly 100% smooth. I will be applying the same technique to Voss' Fokker once the appropriate decals arrive, and then onto my Belgian collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment